Laptop screen cleaner?

edited March 2017 in Hardware
I don't know if it's something I should ask about here but, this is something that has been irritating me for a while now... the fact that my laptop screen is badly smudged through my amateur tries at cleaning it every now and then although, the smudges are only visible whenever there's light onto it or when the laptop itself is off. Does anybody know of a good laptop screen cleaner, even for this Dell Inspiron N7010 that I have? I can't even tell what kind of screen it has but I know it's definitely not LCD, as my old computer had that and came with a screen cleaner perfect for it. It might be TFT but again, I do not know. It doesn't even say that on Dell's official site about it.

It may not be much of a big deal but, just want my screen to be spotless with no smudges whatsoever when I give it a wipe with just a shabby old cloth...

Comments

• I just go over the screen with a yellow duster every once in a while and I've never noticed any smudging.
  • Lysol spray and a soft cloth work great for my scanner... but that is glass.

Some cleaners can be too harsh or react with stuff - for example on CRTs some of them can damage the anti-glare coating.

One thing is for sure, don't use paper towels or tissues. Those can scratch some surfaces.
  • Are you comfortable using toilet paper for "unconventional" uses? (I know that makes some people feel weird) Those are likely soft enough to not mark your screen - just dampen one a bit and rub your screen with it (use water) and then grab another square or two to dry it off. Should work fine, I know I've done this before.
  • edited March 2017
    Toilet paper? I never thought of that. I could try that but I wouldn't want to dampen the whole square of it. I was thinking like dampening one corner/side of it. On that subject, would a paper towel do the job also?
  • 3M Electronic Equipment Cleaner, used it for over a decade now. As long as you don't shred the paper towers you use with it the screen will stay lint free. We've even used it on components like motherboards with liquid damage to clean them off.