Video card (GF 7300GT) fan doesn't work. (Fire hazard?)

edited February 2017 in Hardware
Hello, greetings, help me, etc.
The fan on my Nvidia GeForce 7300GT doesn't turn on or work at all. I've reversed the polarity numerous times and It still doesn't work. I don't tend to mess with desktop stuff, just laptop stuff, so I have no idea what I am doing. Is it going to burst in to flames? Can someone help me, so I don't have to go back to an ancient PCI ATi Radeon that is literally from circa 1998? It's a P4 2.8GHz, so it's already a space heater without a GPU having a nuclear meltdown. Any help is helpful, especially if it's quick-- or the fire department.
ET

Comments

• Just get a THERMALTAKE CRYSTAL ORB and swap out the OEM fan and heatsink make sure to use ANTEC FORMULA 5. :alien:
  • Are you sure it's not turning on because its not getting hot enough to?

I'm pretty sure this GPU has thermal regulation, so it should shut off if it gets too hot. The real question is if you're saving up to get off of this garbage tier hardware.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Are you sure it's not turning on because its not getting hot enough to?

I'm pretty sure this GPU has thermal regulation, so it should shut off if it gets too hot. The real question is if you're saving up to get off of this garbage tier hardware.

I have a similar GPU and it has the same issue. Mine does not have thermal regulation. My card get to about 205 degrees F, and then outputs a black image.
  • The built in heat sink that surrounds the fan has been working fine for now, I'm just worried that It will break from heat.
  • eli573 wrote:
    The built in heat sink that surrounds the fan has been working fine for now, I'm just worried that It will break from heat.
    Install coretemp or openhardwaremonitor and keep an eye out. If you're not putting it under heavy load, it won't. If you are your PC will shut off before you damage it.
  • Parts fail. Running the PC with failing parts can damage your system. Fix the VGA card before it fails completely.
    Zalman made VGA replacement fans that are still available, but hard to find compatiblity lists.
    You should be able to find a compatible replacement fan with a little research.
    I replaced the stock fan in my Nvidia 7900 GT with a Zalman VF900-Cu and it works great.

You could also just replace the card. To me, this would be the easiest solution.
    There are numerous new Nvidia 7000 series cards available at Ebay and Amazon for reasonable prices.
    Your PC should be able to accept any Nvidia 7000 series card.