iGPU issues?

edited January 2017 in Hardware
Sometimes my GPU appears to be acting up, the colors get messed up and I have to restart multiple times to fix it(it's HD graphics 2000). Could it be dying? Unfortunately my PC doesn't have any free expansion slots so I can't install a dedicated card. What can be done, if anything?

Comments

• Only time I ever had a problem like that, it was my VGA cable. If you've ruled out the cable/connections and were sure of faulty GPU, my only ideas would be to try to replace the GPU chip, replace the Mobo, or decide which expansion card you would be able to live without. If your GPU is socketed, that's good. If not but pins on the reversed side are exposed, you'll have to bring out the soldering iron/gun.* I think some units have those retarded double-sided chips. Don't know how to get those off.

*BigCJ is not responsible for any damage you may cause with the soldering gun.
  • Well, this happens with DVI cable and also happened with VGA cable so it's not the connections/cables, nor is it my monitor(happens on other monitors too). Unfortunately, my mobo is a crappy hp mobo, having no expansion slots at all. The iGPU is in the CPU iirc, so it may be fixed by replacing the CPU, tough i'm not sure.
  • ovctvct wrote:
    iGPU
    ovctvct wrote:
    Unfortunately, my mobo is a crappy hp mobo, having no expansion slots at all.

There's your problem right there. Why would you allow yourself to be duped into buying that shit? Even a dirt cheap budget-built PC would be far better than that HP at half the price.

And yes of course that thing is dying. Either pay up, replace the processor, and keep it for another two years till it shats again, or go find/build a better PC. I'd go with the latter.
  • ovctvct wrote:
    iGPU
    ovctvct wrote:
    Unfortunately, my mobo is a crappy hp mobo, having no expansion slots at all.

There's your problem right there. Why would you allow yourself to be duped into buying that shit? Even a dirt cheap budget-built PC would be far better than that HP at half the price.

And yes of course that thing is dying. Either pay up, replace the processor, and keep it for another two years till it shats again, or go find/build a better PC. I'd go with the latter.

I agree, you need to get your data off the PC or just removed the HDD, salvage the good components and trash the thing. Or use it to order another computer before it gives out entirely.
  • Yeah, it is very much time for a new PC.