Looking for Windows 3.X/95 era laptop

edited January 2017 in Hardware
Hello and greetings,
I am looking for an easy to come by, somewhat compact laptop (screen and keyboard size, thickness doesn't matter) with a Am5x86 or 486DX4 preinstalled with 32 megs or more of ram. I was aiming for a Thinkpad 701c, with a 5x86 installed, but the 701c is a rare machine, and I couldn't find one on eBay for a reasonable price. It has to have type 2 PCMCIA. Anything of a similar design of a Thinkpad (example: it looks like the monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey") is welcome. Any help is helpful. I have a budget. Include the link of the item on eBay or Amazon. I am looking to put Windows NT 3.51 Workstation on it. If this search is fruitless, I'll see if I can delete the thread or just edit it to have more lenient qualifications. If applicable, a good PCMCIA network, or even (I doubt it) a wireless card, should be mentioned and a link can be provided on the listed sites. It is important that the card must work on NT 3.51. Again, any help is helpful. -ET
(Edit: Yes, it has to be a color TFT, no STN or DSTN, and definitely no monochrome TFT/STN/DSTN.
(Edit 2: A built in floppy drive is preferred, but not necessary. If not, file transfer will be done with external CD-ROM or floppy drive.)
(Edit 3: A Pentium 1 and Pentium 1 MMX are fine, but no Pentium 2/Pentium Pros or higher due to how Windows NT 3.51 works with Pentium 2s/Pentium Pros or higher.)

Comments

• Why type2 PCMCIA?

32MB of RAM is ridiculous for anything with a 486, even a DX4. You should probably go with 16MB if you intend to put Windows NT on it. I agree with the color TFT, STN sucks. Also, what's your budget?

If you are looking for a 1994/95+ machine, 32MB is fine but no higher.
  • edited January 2017
    98lite wrote:
    Why type2 PCMCIA?

32MB of RAM is ridiculous for anything with a 486, even a DX4. You should probably go with 16MB if you intend to put Windows NT on it. I agree with the color TFT, STN sucks. Also, what's your budget?

If you are looking for a 1994/95+ machine, 32MB is fine but no higher.
    I said type 2 for a possible network card for direct cable connection file transfer. The Am5x86 and the later 486DX4s gave the early Pentiums a run for there money, and I also forgot to add "Pentium 1/Pentium 1 MMX" to the list. I would also likely have someone remove the soldered 486DX4 and replace it with a Am5x86 133MHz. (Although the Am5x86 is clocked at 133MHz, the AMD processors at the time ran slower then the 486s and Pentiums, so it ran more like a Pentium P75.)
  • Although I use a modern HP, I've heard good things about the durability of old IBMs. Pineapples?

EDIT: The ThinkPad 760ED looks nice.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Although I use a modern HP, I've heard good things about the durability of old IBMs. Pineapples?
    I agree that IBMs are durable. I use an old IBM Thinkpad Z61m for home use, and with it's titanium cover, I could use it for self defense.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    EDIT: The ThinkPad 760ED looks nice.
    Every time I search for it on both eBay and Amazon, I just get broken units and turn table styli. (Styli, is that right?) By the way, pineapples was a joke, if anyone picks it, I'll treat it as a "Something else entirely" response with no clarification.
  • eli573 wrote:
    Every time I search for it on both eBay and Amazon, I just get broken units
    Reasons for that is that IBMs were expensive, so they aren't quite as common as other brands. They were expensive because they were top of the line. Also, no one wants to give them up if they still work.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    eli573 wrote:
    Every time I search for it on both eBay and Amazon, I just get broken units
    Reasons for that is that IBMs were expensive, so they aren't quite as common as other brands. They were expensive because they were top of the line. Also, no one wants to give them up if they still work.
    I think I should have added "Easily obtainable to the list," but otherwise, Thinkpads are perfect.
  • I recommend the older IBM Thinkpads, they're classic and nimble machines. Unfortunately my 390X broke its back (the internal hinges punched through the weakened plastic in the rear) and I had to trash the screen.
  • The 8-Bit Guy (a YouTuber) made a very in depth video about the best DOS laptop. Considering Win3.1 and 95 were made for these kinds of machines, maybe seek out one of the higher end DOS-era machines? Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E
  • sl1fka wrote:
    The 8-Bit Guy (a YouTuber) made a very in depth video about the best DOS laptop. Considering Win3.1 and 95 were made for these kinds of machines, maybe seek out one of the higher end DOS-era machines? Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E
    I have studied that guide, but what I most see on eBay are Compaq LTEs that cost upwards of... ~$200! I said that I am on a budget, that will be defined when someone point something out to me that is over priced, and these laptops aren't rare, of a matter of fact, I believe that they were mass produced! I, if I had a budget of infinity, would also not be that devoted to getting one of these. I think I also might be shifting my planned OS from NT 3.51/4.0 to NT 3.51/Windows 95 (dualboot.) I don't want to have to edit the main post again.
  • ThinkPads are the only x86 laptops of the time I'd consider worth it. High quality, well supported.
  • I'd go with the IBM ThinkPad Stuff from personal experience. The best laptop I ever owned was a fifth hand IBM ThinkPad 755CD, 486 DX4-100 system, which ran GREAT for DOS Games. Also there seems to still be a decent amount of replacement parts availibile for the mid 90's models. AT it's greatest it had 48MB of RAM, a 2.1GB HDD with DOS 6.22/WFWG 3.11 on it, and used MWAV audio, which IIRC, Lenovo or IBM (not sure which) has an archive of their old drivers for that model somewhere....at least, the last time I had that machine which was a awhile back.

Another good system I had if you don't mind internal speaker only was the AT&T Safari which came in a DX4-100 variant, mine was a DX2-50 though.