Compaq LTE 5400 screen problem

edited February 2017 in Hardware
I found an old Compaq LTE 5400, it had no ram and hard drive so i bought 32 Mb of Ram and CF Card adapter to use it for the hard drive.

The computer starts booting, the floppy drive makes noise, icons on crystal screen appear, you hear that little noise of the speakers, but then nothing happens. The computer is ON but the screen is black(Completely off), and the computer is itself locked, i cannot turn it off doing whatever i try(It obviusly turns off when i just unplug it), no keys seem to do anything.

I tried with the ram i use on my other compaq(Tested and working fine) and it happens the same, also the CF Card i use in my other compaq and nothing.

Someone may know whats going on?

Comments

• What OS do you have installed on the computer? Because based on what you said, it sounds like you forgot to install an OS before using it.
  • ubuntuxp wrote:
    What OS do you have installed on the computer? Because based on what you said, it sounds like you forgot to install an OS before using it.

The BIOS does not appear, i cant do anything with the computer. The screen just does not turns on.
    I used a CF card with MS-DOS installed from another compaq and it still not working.
  • If the screen doesn't come on at all while it boots, then the screen is probably dead.

You might just check whichever keys (function f3 or usually something like that) switch between the screen and external monitor.

Of course, try connecting an external monitor and see if that shows anything.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    If the screen doesn't come on at all while it boots, then the screen is probably dead.

You might just check whichever keys (function f3 or usually something like that) switch between the screen and external monitor.

Of course, try connecting an external monitor and see if that shows anything.

I've already tried, forgot to comment it. No signal, tried on a TV, and then in my VGA monitor.
    Maybe is something wrong with the mobo?, if the problem is the mobo... fml.
  • I have this exact model, and if it is anything like yours, you will need to remove the LCD bezel and check all the connections going to the LCD and to the motherboard. For some reason the cable(s) have a tendency to work themselves loose. This has happened to me two or three times, and is usually indicated by color distortion or image corruption.
  • Finally i got time to try that. Ive made a typo, i wanted to write "5400" instead of "5300". i've already checked the cables and everything is well connected, tried disconnecting and connecting back again and nothing happens. The computer when it turns on, before BIOS just softlocks, because you cant turn off the computer, you cant see anything throught the screen even if you connect an external monitor, so idk if this can be fixed.