Identify this laptop?

edited January 2017 in Hardware
Eight years ago, I borrowed a laptop from the college I was a student of which was used for a temporarily while, when my old one at the time broke down and only had it until I got a new one via a grant issued by the college. This was the laptop I had (and I do pardon the grainy quality. My photography skills weren't so great then) and I do know that it was a Dell Inspiron but the problem is, I am having a problem of what model it was exactly. It is not the Dell Inspiron 6400 as I just compared an image of that to this one and there are slight differences. The 6400 has an embossed "circle" on the far sides of the opened lid but the one I had has two on each side of the hinges. Secondly, the 6400 has some designs on the touchpad indicating arrows but this one did not, just a plain-looking touchpad. It might be a slightly newer or older model, I really cannot tell.

The only reason I wanted to know is because I want to find out what specs the laptop had compared to the old one I had before it (256MB memory/37GB hard drive), and the one I received via a grant (4GB memory/500GB hard drive, specs that seemed way too high for WinXP SP3, and I believe it may have been downgraded from Vista). My guess is that it may have had 512MB of memory and at least 120GB disk space but my memory of that laptop is really hazy, especially when I only had it for a short time before I got my new one. If anyone is willing to find this out for me, that would be great. Just something to jog my memory, and see how it really compares with the systems I had between it.

Comments

• Inspiron 6000 most likely (i6400 was a later model with a Core 2 Duo CPU), 2GB max RAM so I'd expect 512MB stock, and 60GB HDD. Pentium M (likely branded as Centrino due to WiFi card) CPU.
  • Finding old models along series like the Inspiron - or any other series, by any company with practices on a similar level to Dell, isn't the easiest! Considering there've been simply so many homogeneous and thusly thoroughly forgotten models, that is.

Anyhow I am really struggling to jog my own memory from the very specific point in time I was given a load of these to attempt to fix [somewhere around like 2005 or six I believe, and at that point they were at least a year old] and from what I remember I want to say a plain old Inspiron 6000. I remember after fixing a load of similar models to these that was the model name of the one I pulled from the bottom and fixed for myself and used it daily for a while. I haven't seen it for years but what I know to be true outright is that it had 2GB RAM and a 120ish GB HDD, so it might be a model before the one you mentioned, but then again it could be the same one; I never bothered shoving more memory in the thing because back then we were all on XP and 2GB was just dandy enough.

Anyways, hope something I've said here can be a bit of a refresher or something, lemme know if there's anything specific I left out that I probably should've mentioned. I used no links.. just memory haha. Just for the record.
  • I would guess this is a Dell Inspiron 9400, I've looked up pictures of that model and it looks very close to the one in the picture you've provided.

I thought it was a 6000 at first because of the Intel Centrino Sticker, So I looked that up and saw that the 6000 has the same design features as the 6400 (The arrows on the touchpad, And the smaller size), So I believe this is an Inspiron 9400, The 9300 had the arrows on the touchpad, And some pictures of the 9400 lacked the arrows.

EDIT: Looking up the specs online, The Inspiron 9400 has an Intel Core Duo CPU, Came standard with 512MB or 1GB of RAM, And took a maximum of 4GB of RAM, So it's possible that this got upgraded to the specs you've mentioned, As far as the Intel Sticker is concerned, There's a possibility that this got a palmrest replacement at some point and the replacement palmrest was intended for the 9300 which had a Pentium M, The 9300 only took a maximum of 2GB for RAM so my final guess still stands.
  • Funnily enough, the laptop did have an Intel Centrino sticker on it as I recognised its shape. However, the specs of it as said on the official Dell site said that it had 2GB memory and ~100GB storage. Not sure where you looked to gather your bit of information, but thanks for helping out anyway. Now I know what I've been using for all this time, haha :P
  • It can only be one of three models. The 9200, 9300, and 9400. The one in the pic is a 9200 I think.
  • Even though person above massively bumped this post, it was most likely a 9300 or 9400 Inspiron, they could come in different configurations so what you see on Dell's website isn't representative of all of them that were shipped.