Computer Athlete Inteactive Fitness Kit for DOS

edited November 2016 in Hardware
?m2vkm
I don't usually find vintage hardware or software funny, but this made me chuckle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COMPUTE ... 2015684963

After the iWatch and fitness related crap the last couple years it just seems funny to see something like that. Just check out that sexy beige 386/486 complete with dual floppies!

Apparently this is some kind of hardware kit that connects to a variety of indoor exercise equipment and provides some kind of workalong simulation. So it might be more comparable to VR gear or some other wacky gaming input devices.

Comments

• This... looks rather impractical. Does that black fitness equipment the woman is on even go in sync with that program, let alone the computer itself? If so, such advanced technology for the 80s, eh? And the more important thing... did it sell well in its time?

Thanks for sharing such an oddity with us ;P
  • I haven't see such a thing. Must be such a joy staring at a 14" VGA monitor from 6 feet away.
  • Oops, forgot the link to the eBeh item I stumbled across. Added it. There are a couple more pictures there.

It has some little gadgets that attach to the exercise equipment that controls the software. It really does seem impractical in a variety of ways. But that doesn't seem to stop people from buying stuff, especially these days. And where did they put the keyboard anyway?
  • I haven't see such a thing. Must be such a joy staring at a 14" VGA monitor from 6 feet away.
    Oh yeah, lovely straining for the eyes :lol:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    And where did they put the keyboard anyway?
    In the drawer below perhaps? That should've been obvious ;)

I wonder what other quirky pieces of hardware/software that came out of that era. Don't tell me there's something else more ridiculous than that surely D: