CF card on Del 466/LE

edited November 2016 in Hardware
I've decided to give myself a gift, and open up a brand new Dell 466/LE I've been sitting on for the past 10 years. Haven't touched DOS for about as long, have been playing with Commodore 64 programming...

Anyway, it has a 540Mb IDE drive, and I would like to install a CF card. I've ordered few cheap IDE->CF converters to play with, but is there anything I should know about? I thinking this will be a simple fact of partitioning, formatting with /S and being happy. Too simple?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• mrarkus wrote:
    I've decided to give myself a gift, and open up a brand new Dell 466/LE I've been sitting on for the past 10 years. Haven't touched DOS for about as long, have been playing with Commodore 64 programming...

Anyway, it has a 540Mb IDE drive, and I would like to install a CF card. I've ordered few cheap IDE->CF converters to play with, but is there anything I should know about? I thinking this will be a simple fact of partitioning, formatting with /S and being happy. Too simple?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Most old computers have a max storage of 4gb, and some even have a max of like 600 mb , per partition , But you can use a drive overlay program from this site to be able to use any hard drive size you want , if you want one partition. and there are also a few CF card Converters that don't work correctly. I have having a problem with my IBM thinkpad 380xd which if i add a cf card to one of those adaptors it gets automatically corrupt, I have tried using a Drive overlay program since the max hard drive for the laptop is like 8GB
  • Time for a quick update:

Got a couple of adapters from Amazon for $10, and tried a 128Mb Sandisk, and 8Gb Transcend and Kingston cards. I was able to partition and format all, and use them, with one caviat - the boot partition could not be 2Gb. Once I lowered it to 500Mb and kept the other partitions to 2Gb, everything works great. And quiet!

Now trying to slave the old HD to copy files... that was an exercise in frustration. Finally after many trials I got the 128Mb Sandisk to work as master, and was able to copy the files to that one.