can't get Cf card to boot from IBM thinkpad 380xd

edited December 2016 in Hardware
I am trying to get a cf card to boot from an old IBM thinkpad 380xd using a cf card to IDE adapter, the Computer does recognize the Cf card , but I had to install ontrack boot manager from the archive, to get it to recognize the whole card which is 32gb. I had the ontrack software try to install DOS to the cf card, it installs but it doesn't boot still, i just get the blinky white _ . I suspect its the Cf card since its a generic Cf card, and it is a Komputerbay 32 gb 400x Cf card. I also tried to get it to boot on another computer , and it still won't boot either . I wondering if i need to set it to fixed disk, How would i set it to that it is a fixed disk, if needed to get it to boot?

Comments

• DOS probably won't boot from a partition this big.

Setting the fixed disk bit depends on the card - I know there's a utility for SanDisk ones.
  • Make sure the primary partition is active, and that the MBR has proper boot code (such as using FDISK /MBR)

Often times with CF cards, you have to wipe the drive, such as filling it with /dev/zero from Linux, and then create the partitions using the target computer under the target version of DOS.

Also, reportedly the difference between fixed or removable media is usually ignored by DOS or Windows 9x, but is an issue for NT based OSes.
  • ampharos wrote:
    DOS probably won't boot from a partition this big.

Setting the fixed disk bit depends on the card - I know there's a utility for SanDisk ones.

It is getting windows 98 installed on it actually, So i have to use a drive overlay for it since the ibm thinkpad only supports up to 8gb actually, and its a 32gb cf card
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Make sure the primary partition is active, and that the MBR has proper boot code (such as using FDISK /MBR)

Often times with CF cards, you have to wipe the drive, such as filling it with /dev/zero from Linux, and then create the partitions using the target computer under the target version of DOS.

Also, reportedly the difference between fixed or removable media is usually ignored by DOS or Windows 9x, but is an issue for NT based OSes.

apparently on some old IBM thinkpad the removable bit needs to be set to fixed. I have tried many many things , and i have actually zeroed it as well, The weird thing if i put files on it from a dos bootfloppy, When i put it back into a usb cf card reader, it says its corrupted.
  • Is there a utility that i can use on DOS to check if the the cf comes up as fixed or removeable? So i can check the removable bit
  • Apparently there really isn't any utility for that. There is a thread here: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/removable-cf-card-or-not/
    that discusses the matter. It links to a utility that can flip that bit on some (it sounds like) Sandisk cards. It also mentions some Thinkpads refuse to boot if the removable bit is set.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Apparently there really isn't any utility for that. There is a thread here: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/removable-cf-card-or-not/
    that discusses the matter. It links to a utility that can flip that bit on some (it sounds like) Sandisk cards. It also mentions some Thinkpads refuse to boot if the removable bit is set.

I have tried that utlity it doesn't work on generic Cf cards. I am wondering if there is a way to get a generic Cf card to change the bit. as a name for the Cf card is has a name as CF car` , i think its a typo in the firmware , Its a Komputerbay 400x Cf card 32gb, I have contacted them to check what it is, and if the bit is set when in IDE mode.
  • Also found another weird issue , even though the computer can read and write to the Cf card , even though it can't boot, everything ends up getting corrupted when you add something to the drive , and i know the drive is formatted
  • If it wasn't fdisked on that computer, or if you are switching between computers then that is not surprising. Computers of that era often used different CHS translation schemes that were incompatible between one another or with machines that used LBA.

You might look in to Disk On Modules instead of CF cards.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    If it wasn't fdisked on that computer, or if you are switching between computers then that is not surprising. Computers of that era often used different CHS translation schemes that were incompatible between one another or with machines that used LBA.

You might look in to Disk On Modules instead of CF cards.

I thought that was the issue, what is the issue of it getting fdisked and formatted on the computer, and than when i add something to the computer from a floppy, everything ends up corrupted when added to the drive? The computer only supports up to 8gb. but i am using a drive overlay program from this site to have it work with 32gb. the 8gb limit is only for DOS based O.S. anything else like windows 2000 or even windows xp doesn't have a limit on this computer.
  • Here's what you can do.. run FDISK to delete any any ALL partitions from the CF card. I've personally gotten DOS to boot off a 120GB SATA drive.

After you remove all partitions, REBOOT the machine.. Boot back into DOS and run FDISK again.. You need to create a PRIMARY PARTITION and set it ACTIVE. (able to boot from)

If you can, Partition Magic is perfect for this because in my experience, FDISK won't let you set more than one drive's partition ACTIVE. But Partition Magic I believe 4.00 and up will. I personally loved 8.0 and I know for sure that Powerquest PartitionMagic 8.0 will let you set all primary partitions ACTIVE.

ALSO, one last thing to note, is that your computers BIOS *MUS* have the option to boot from a CF device or your efforts are wasted.. Good luck and post back here with your results..

:)