Need help with a Ga-5ax rev 4.1 board

edited October 2016 in Hardware
Hello every one, I have just recently obtained an old computer from 1996. The computer works and boots fine, although it has some trouble such as: 1.) VGA doesn't display output and 2.) it has a beep code during every boot.

The first thing I would like to have some help with is the beep at the beginning of every boot. The beep code is 1 long beep and 4 short beeps, After the beeps it boots up like a normal machine (judging from the disk noise). I have checked the ram cards, and they seem pretty well in there. The only thing I want to add is that the board didn't come with a vga plug, instead someone added a vga card into one of the pci slots. I don't know the maker of the card, nor the ram amount or the processor type. All I do know that its a 400mhz machine... I'll provide some pictures of the board by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello birdy.
    I checked codes for the Award BIOS and could not find 1 long 4 short. I did however discover 1 long 3 short, which indicate problem with the video card. Replacing the video card should resolve your problem.
    Also, if you do not have the manual you can find it here.
  • I think this board is actually from 1998-99 due to having AGP video and AMD K6-2/3 support etc.

If you have a spare AGP card lying around, I'd try it with that. Have you checked how the CPU fan is? Having a look online it seems some said the problem could potentially be that the fan is spinning too slow to adequately cool the CPU if the motherboard is detecting the fan's RPM.

If it sounds like it's booting otherwise, I'd say the RAM is fine.
  • Sounds like an AMI error code, but the listing only goes to 1 long, 3 short, and 1 long, 8 short beeps.

EDIT

PDF manual for your board.
    http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manu ... 5202_e.pdf
  • Thank you every one for replying, and sorry for such a late reply. Thank you for the pdf manual's.

Cleaning the VGA cards' input's seemed to do the trick, but replacing it would probably have been better. With that being said I will also look out for the fan..