How to prevent a overheating computer/laptop?

edited October 2016 in Hardware
I have a Windows 7 computer, which overheats and shuts down after from few hours, i wanted to know how to PREVENT OVERHEATING COMPUTER? Also, what causes computers to overheat?

Comments

• Well, your question seems not to be related with Software.
    I recommend to ask the question on Hardware forum.
  • Moved to hardware. The most common issues are probably from dead fans, bad thermal grease, or failure of other internal devices intended to move heat. Please search Google on the matter as other sites will have much more information on "modern" machines.
  • It's also imperative that you dust your fan occasionally with compressed air. I would try that solution first before attempting to disassemble your unit.
  • This was the sort of problem I had to deal with for my old computer six years ago, only that I heard loud buzzing/rattling from the graphic card's fan. All I can say is get yourself a dust-proof fan for the graphics card if you can. Anything else that others said, I would've said that also.
  • Well, make sure NOTHING is lodged into the CPU fan. When I took my recently upgraded PC (that has a Celeron G1820) to a local repair shop, it turned out that the extreme overheating (up to 99 celsius) was caused by an extra CPU power connector being lodged into the CPU fan.
  • Came back after a month. And yes, I got a new computer that doesn't overheat. Sorry for wasting you're time with my question. :/