Intel 810E

edited November 2016 in Hardware
I've got an Intel 810 computer but it's only got 4 megabytes of video memory. Is there any way for me to add more memory to this? It's only got the white slots on the main board so I can't put a card in it.

It's a Dell l800r

Comments

• PCAT wrote:
    It's only got the white slots on the main board so I can't put a card in it.

You've lost me there. Those white slots are PCI slots, so you can toss in a better PCI graphics card. Looking at the motherboard online, there's no AGP to use.

The Intel 810 is the chipset on the motherboard that incorporates things such as the built-in video and sound. The only other way apart from getting a PCI video card would be to check in the BIOS and see whether you can increase the amount of video memory to 8MB for example. It's not as good as having a dedicated card, and uses up more RAM, but that's the free alternative.

Dell machines like this tended to target the business market instead where working on spreadsheets not gaming was the intention.
  • check in the BIOS and see whether you can increase the amount of video memory to 8MB
    I couldn't quite remember, but yea these chips use your main system ram as video ram instead of having dedicated ram chips. So if the BIOS permits, you may be able to allocate more video memory at the expense of available system memory. However, depending on what you are trying to do, it might not help much. A good PCI (not PCIe) card would probably give more performance boost.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    check in the BIOS and see whether you can increase the amount of video memory to 8MB
    I couldn't quite remember, but yea these chips use your main system ram as video ram instead of having dedicated ram chips. So if the BIOS permits, you may be able to allocate more video memory at the expense of available system memory. However, depending on what you are trying to do, it might not help much. A good PCI (not PCIe) card would probably give more performance boost.

I need 32 megabytes to play fate on it and it has to be the power of a tnt2 but I can't put my tnt2 in it because the slot is different the ones I have that fit only have 2 megabytes or 1 megabytes so I can't use those and my s3 one doesn't work anymore

I checked there isn't a way to change video memory in setup just to decide which video to use p c I or onboard
  • You need old PCI card to this one. I had this mainboard too along with P3 733 MHz and 512MB ram. It's no way to increase the available onboard memory video, and of course, lacks for 32-bit resolution, lacks agp port (PCIe didn't exist yet) and sub-par performance is main drawbacks too. So I plugged in with ATI Rage 128 PCI with 32-MB, works very well to play Half-life and PSX emulator. I'm sure some graphic cards with old PCI port like last TNT2 generation and first gen radeon card will work.
  • thiekus wrote:
    You need old PCI card to this one. I had this mainboard too along with P3 733 MHz and 512MB ram. It's no way to increase the available onboard memory video, and of course, lacks for 32-bit resolution, lacks agp port (PCIe didn't exist yet) and sub-par performance is main drawbacks too. So I plugged in with ATI Rage 128 PCI with 32-MB, works very well to play Half-life and PSX emulator. I'm sure some graphic cards with old PCI port like last TNT2 generation and first gen radeon card will work.

What card do you recommended that uses the p c I slot and has 32 megabytes of memory and Direct X 9 support but I can get for less than 20 bucks
  • PCAT wrote:

What card do you recommended that uses the p c I slot and has 32 megabytes of memory and Direct X 9 support but I can get for less than 20 bucks

There many graphic cards in early 2000's, some are 32-MB VRAM. AFAIK, most of them doesn't support DirectX 9.0 natively yet, but powerful enough to play some DirectX 9 titles. For suggestion, it will be early ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce, or if you lucky, you get even rare GeForce FX 5xxx family (natively support DX9) in old PCI interface (Ain't sure if these will cheap, like this one).
  • thiekus wrote:
    PCAT wrote:

There many graphic cards in early 2000's, some are 32-MB VRAM. AFAIK, most of them doesn't support DirectX 9.0 natively yet, but powerful enough to play some DirectX 9 titles. For suggestion, it will be early ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce, or if you lucky, you get even rare GeForce FX 5xxx family (natively support DX9) in old PCI interface (Ain't sure if these will cheap, like this one).

I need one with only 16 megabytes but 32 megabytes is recommended because it works on the Intel 8 1 5 in my laptop but it doesn't work on the 8 1 0 on this PC
    The game is called crazy machines it comes on cd it's from like 2003

Sorry for my bad English I can't access this from my computer because it always gives me access denied when I try to go to the win boards part
  • PCAT wrote:

I need one with only 16 megabytes but 32 megabytes is recommended because it works on the Intel 8 1 5 in my laptop but it doesn't work on the 8 1 0 on this PC

Sorry for my bad English I can't access this from my computer because it always gives me access denied when I try to go to the win boards part

IMO, i815 is well designed than older i810, you can check here that i810 was stuck on DX8. You only need card that can properly run DX9 titles even not natively. Beware, I don't suggest PowerVR because has graphical glitches in some major titles.
  • thiekus wrote:
    PCAT wrote:

IMO, i815 is well designed than older i810, you can check here that i810 was stuck on DX8. You only need card that can properly run DX9 titles even not natively. Beware, I don't suggest PowerVR because has graphical glitches in some major titles.

I don't know if there has ever been a way to change the chipset in a computer, let alone one this old. The box of the game apparently says it needs DX8 and OpenGL 1.4 to run, and a "TNT2 or comparable with 32MB," even though it runs fine on the Intel 815 chip in my Toshiba Portege.

If it's just not possible that's fine, this was just a project to see exactly how slow of a CPU it would run on (the box says 800MHz, so far I've seen it run down to 750MHz because I've been lazy).

I got a real keyboard for my phone, it's much better than the one on my tiny screen. Any ideas why it won't let me create threads on my phone or let me access the page from my PC? Or does that need a new thread?
  • You can put just in a PCI GPU (as on this model, the IGP takes over the AGP slot and won't give it up) and it will practically replace the IGP. The BIOS (if configured properly, it should be set to this automatically) will switch to the dedicated GPU and let go of its shared VRAM.
  • Off hand I'd recommend an NVidia 6200-256 PCI. Those are still sold in some places as an add-on for people who need a second video display but only have extra PCI slots instead of video PCIe slots. The 6xxx series is also the last to be compatible with Windows 9x. (at least without some hacking). I think the ones with more RAM break 9x, but the more RAM a video card has, the less available system RAM there is on 32-bit OSes.

Of course, if you look around you might be able to find something used/discarded in that ballpark for less money.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I think the ones with more RAM break 9x, but the more RAM a video card has, the less available system RAM there is on 32-bit OSes.

I'm not sure that's true on PCI cards. AGP cards, very much so due to the aperture.
  • ampharos wrote:
    I'm not sure that's true on PCI cards. AGP cards, very much so due to the aperture.

What about the Intel 7 4 0 that uses the system memory for video buffers

How much are these "6xxx" cards and do they sell them at Best Buy? I can't get Any descent ones on eBay Just old ones that are less good than the ones I already have

Just to let you know btw the computer is not reliable anymore for some reasons I changed the CPU to help but it didn't make a difference the 500 is the same as the 933 and the 433 Celeron is less reliable than any of the others

I don't remember if is asked already or no but can I just add a a g p slot or use a adapter of to get the a g p slot from the p c I it has I've got 2 free slots

I don't think the memory problem applies because it only has 38egabytes of r a m built in I upgraded it from 128
  • IIRC, they relied on the AGP aperture (a section of system RAM) for storing textures.
  • ampharos wrote:
    IIRC, they relied on the AGP aperture (a section of system RAM) for storing textures.

There is an option for the AGP aperture in the bios, and it is set to its maximum (32MB). However, even at that it's still not able to run my game because DirectX 9 is required (I have tried Windows XP, no such luck). Honestly, if they'd have made something along the lines of an 82845G on a PCI card that would've been great because it would've been useful for this. Does any such device exist?
  • Again, if all you need if DirectX 9.0 with no concern for speed, there are plenty of NOS low-end GPUs like FX 5200s, that use PCI.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Again, if all you need if DirectX 9.0 with no concern for speed, there are plenty of NOS low-end GPUs like FX 5200s, that use PCI.
    Sweet, thanks!