Getting DMA to work under a Cyrix Mediagxm windows 98 laptop

edited July 2017 in Hardware
I have this Cyrix mediagxm and for some reason windows 98 has DMA disabled. it's just not there. I know the hard drive works with DMA since its a 15gb UDMA hard drive. In the bios if I have it set to auto detection mode for the hard drive it gets automatically set to FPIO 4 mode, and I know it has DMA 2. I have to set the hard drive in the bios to manual and then set it to fpio 4 dma 2, But DMA still doesn't still show up in windows 98. Also which version of DMA 2 is it? is it single word DMA 2, or multiword DMA 2? , I know that pio 4 is 16.7 MB/S and that multiword dma 2 is also 16.7 MB/S , So doesn't it have to be multiword dma? So How can I force windows 98 to enable DMA?

Comments

• If this is a motherboard IDE, what chipset is it?

Also, what Hard Disk Controller driver is shown in the device manager?

Are you saying it shows the DMA checkbox in the disk drive properties but when you check it, it reverts to unchecked?

As I recall, some drivers will not show a DMA option at all, because they automatically use DMA.

If you are using the Windows 98 generic IDE driver, you may need to install a vendor provided chipset-specific driver to get the full functionality.
  • If the checkbox in Device Manager is grayed out, your hard disk controller does not support DMA. Also, if the checkbox comes unchecked, then something is wrong with your hardware. Or, as SomeGuy said, you may need more specific drivers.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    If this is a motherboard IDE, what chipset is it?

Also, what Hard Disk Controller driver is shown in the device manager?

Are you saying it shows the DMA checkbox in the disk drive properties but when you check it, it reverts to unchecked?

As I recall, some drivers will not show a DMA option at all, because they automatically use DMA.

If you are using the Windows 98 generic IDE driver, you may need to install a vendor provided chipset-specific driver to get the full functionality.

its using a generic windows 98 IDE driver, The DMA box isn't even there. The chipset is a Cyrix CX5520. what I know is the Cyrix Cx5530 has a built in UDMA controller, But the CX5520 doesn't come up as even having a IDE controller. It's a laptop. Is there a way to figure out what the IDE controller is? Also I don't think it has a IDE driver, I have the driver disks and it doesn't include a IDE controller driver
  • BigCJ wrote:
    If the checkbox in Device Manager is grayed out, your hard disk controller does not support DMA. Also, if the checkbox comes unchecked, then something is wrong with your hardware. Or, as SomeGuy said, you may need more specific drivers.

Shouldn't it support DMA if it has fpio 4 dma 2 as a setting in the bios?
  • I do have the driver diskettes for it, and it doesn't include a IDE driver, So I believe it doesn't have a IDE driver than.