Outage Explination

edited May 2016 in News & Announcements
I have just restored all services. I was traveling to the OC and two days into the trip the hypervisor had a panic. A reboot was issued although the VM's failed to auto-start as an internal network interface was missing the presence of dnsmasq. I did not have anything but my iPhone with me and hypervisor access is via private network only. I will be placing domain admin and VPN access with a close friend as well as reviewing configurations, fixing them and doing a test reboot at some point to ensure this can not be such catastrophe going forward.

Comments

• Thanks Stitch!

Although it was ages ago, this does remind me of one time when I was out for a couple of days, and when I returned I found a particular system I was responsible for has been down the entire time. And the idiots there had left it down because they felt they required my glorious expertise to mash the reset button. :P

I wonder if Rioter got finished messing around with his mirror? I had sent him a PM just before things went boom boom, but obviosuly he had not seen it yet.
  • I remember yesterday I wanted to visit, but it wasn't connecting, and then the weirdest thing happened. I googled some specific download and it took me to the website, but the address had an IP before the actual web domain. I went to WinBoards through this odd address but it was just text on a white screen in a long column.
    I decided to not bother the website for awhile after that.
  • You probably just hit it while stitch was bringing it back up.

Initially when the site went down, Winworld's DNS was just not responding, but one could still access it using an IP address. Although after the reboot it got confused and totally died.
  • It just so happens that when I wanted to download something, the site was offline.

Damn.
  • It just so happens that when I wanted to download something, the site was offline.

Damn.

Oh well that's life it really doesn't revolve around your needs.
  • Glad to hear everything's fine. I kinda was scared that there was some legal trouble or whatever, but I'm relieved nothing major happened.
  • stitch wrote:
    It just so happens that when I wanted to download something, the site was offline.
    Damn.
    Oh well that's life it really doesn't revolve around your needs.
    Who said life was fair? :lol:

Good to hear that every thing is a Ok. I thought your were rolling out the new layout with the forums being integrated into the archives. Or that you through in the towel with this place.
  • ah i was wondering what was up, tired to find a page i could contact somebody on like fb page or twitter, never got a reply though
  • ah i was wondering what was up, tired to find a page i could contact somebody on like fb page or twitter, never got a reply though
    You not think about IRC?

I was worried this site had gone down completely actually given some stuff I'd heard elsewhere but nope, glad to see it's back up. Whilst I have FTP access at a certain other abandonware site, that is a pain to setup and I've only used it once. This place is great for simple fast abandonware downloads.
  • Probably the only pages with the winboards IRC server info are on the Winworld web site :P

But everyone seems to have their own preferred method of communicating. Personally, I prefer good old e-mail. Although when the site was down, it also took out the Winworldpc e-mail addresses. I don't normally use IRC, and I won't touch twatter or farcebook with a ten foot pole.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Probably the only pages with the winboards IRC server info are on the Winworld web site :P

But everyone seems to have their own preferred method of communicating. Personally, I prefer good old e-mail. Although when the site was down, it also took out the Winworldpc e-mail addresses. I don't normally use IRC, and I won't touch twatter or farcebook with a ten foot pole.
    Yeah, the twitter doesn't look active...
    Hopefully the downtime doesn't happen again, I was worried there... funnily enough BA got a ton new signups from the looks of things when WW went down. Maybe a WinWorld subreddit with site status and site-related discussion would be nice to try but yeah, that defeats the point of the forum!
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Probably the only pages with the winboards IRC server info are on the Winworld web site :P

Hopefully the downtime doesn't happen again, I was worried there... funnily enough BA got a ton new signups from the looks of things when WW went down. Maybe a WinWorld subreddit with site status and site-related discussion would be nice to try but yeah, that defeats the point of the forum!

Someone actually took the liberty to make a subreddit. I'm waiting for the mod control to be passed over to our staff. It should not be treated as official until then.
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

Someone actually took the liberty to make a subreddit. I'm waiting for the mod control to be passed over to our staff. It should not be treated as official until then.
    Just saw that. Hopefully they'll hand over control - otherwise /r/WinWorld has no posts and doesn't seem to be active so that could be used instead if it does not exist already.
    Otherwise just wait until Reddit lock the sub and make it available again after inactivity
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

Done. Moderation invitation sent.
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

Accepted. However only WinWorld staff can have powers over anything bearing the name of WinWorld, so if you can't take yourself off the moderator list, you need to just remove the subreddit entirely. Thank you.
  • stitch wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

Accepted. However only WinWorld staff can have powers over anything bearing the name of WinWorld, so if you can't take yourself off the moderator list, you need to just remove the subreddit entirely. Thank you.

Yes, I have resigned.
  • Yeah, I have not been able to get on IRC for a few days.
  • Ensure you have a modern IRC client capable of connecting to modern SSL (that is, TLSv1.2) using networks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file