What should I do with this laptop?

edited October 2015 in Hardware
I was given a Toshiba Satellite P775D-S7360 and I don't want it to just go to the pile of unused computers that I have because it is actually pretty decently specced. I also don't want to sell it because 17" Laptops are hard to ship, at least in my experience. Any suggestions for what I should do with it?

Specifications:

AMD A8-3500M, 6GB RAM, 640GB Toshiba Hard Drive, ATI Radeon 6620G Graphics

Comments

• Whoa, that's pretty awesome for a laptop. You can code without any issues, use memory-heavy programs and probably even game decently.

Not sure why you'd ditch it, but you can always donate it to a faculty of computer engineering, they can always make use of them.
  • Install Windows 10 and use it for a emergency backup system or if you travel take it with you.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Install Windows 10 and use it for a emergency backup system or if you travel take it with you.

The problem with the traveling suggestion is the laptop's 17.3". I don't even have any bags that fit it.

I think I'll just keep it around as an emergency backup system like you suggested because the processor really bottlenecks this laptop, it's at Pentium (from that year) levels.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Install Windows 10
    Um, why 10 exactly? 7 is far more obedient.
  • Depending how old it is if the system came out. If it came with Windows 8 loaded then trying to get Windows 7 on it will be a PITA. It's just easier to migrate now instead of waiting for the last second for Windows 7's end of life.
    For a example I am fixing a Dell laptop that has a Celeron N2840 and 4GB ram. The owner of the laptop is use to Windows XP and hates Windows 8 with a passion all because of the "Home screen" instead of a startmenu. I tried to install Windows 7 and it's driver suicide let alone the crappy EFI system hates it. I could find the proper drivers by looking at the individual device manufacturers but time isn't on my side. So in a nut shell she really wants a startmenu again, so she's getting Windows 10. She only uses the system for internet surfing and writing letters to family.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Install Windows 10
    I agree. Windows 7 is far better
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Install Windows 10
    I agree. Windows 7 is far better

But Win10 will be supported until 2025, while Win7 goes EOL in 2020, so even though it does seem a little ridiculous to use a 2012 computer until 2025, it does make sense to make it last just a little bit longer than it would with 7. Plus, why turn the upgrade of Win10 down? It's free, faster, and as mentioned before, will be supported longer. I am using Win7 on this computer I'm typing on, but that's just because the video driver causes BSODs under 10.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    it does seem a little ridiculous to use a 2012 computer until 2025

Much like using a 2001 operating system in 2015, then? XP is like the plague, it's still fucking everywhere.
  • BOD wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    it does seem a little ridiculous to use a 2012 computer until 2025

Much like using a 2001 operating system in 2015, then? XP is like the plague, it's still fucking everywhere.

It is pretty bad that we still have so many XP users out there, but at least most of them aren't using XP era hardware. (Well, I hope they aren't)
  • 66659hi wrote:
    lus, why turn the upgrade of Win10 down? It's free, faster, and as mentioned before, will be supported longer. I am using Win7 on this computer I'm typing on, but that's just because the video driver causes BSODs under 10.

Just because it costs nothing and there are performance "improvements", it doesn't automatically make it better. I actually found W10 to be slower than W7.
  • dosbox wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    lus, why turn the upgrade of Win10 down? It's free, faster, and as mentioned before, will be supported longer. I am using Win7 on this computer I'm typing on, but that's just because the video driver causes BSODs under 10.

Just because it costs nothing and there are performance "improvements", it doesn't automatically make it better. I actually found W10 to be slower than W7.

It's faster than 7 on that Toshiba, MUCH faster. Win7 was extremely slow on that Toshiba (No, I didn't fresh install or anything. I just straight upgraded so all of the stuff that would've been causing 7 to run slow is still there).
  • 66659hi wrote:
    It is pretty bad that we still have so many XP users out there, but at least most of them aren't using XP era hardware. (Well, I hope they aren't)
    I am, but this isn't my only PC (I have 8 PCs)
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    I am, but this isn't my only PC (I have 8 PCs)

Why use XP era hardware to browse the web if you have newer hardware? I understand using it for nostalgia purposes, but remember, XP came out in 2001, so you're either using a Pentium III/Pentium IV/whatever AMD had at the time. It has to be ungodly slow on the internet.