Windows 7 Drivers

edited October 2014 in Software
I am updating a HP Media Center PC m1180n from XP to Windows 7 and need the drivers. All the searches I do on the internet take me to the driver's download website where they want money for the drivers. Can anyone help me please?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    By looking into XP's drivers, you can still find solutions than going to the very specific PC model only.

Some examples:
    - Audio: "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" , natively supported in Windows 7.
    - Display: ATI graphics driver, easy to find whenever you knew the model. The tuner seems to be too old and obsolete, however if you installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 you may probably have some luck in installing and being able to use the XP's drivers in their desired functionality, from http://www.hauppauge.com/html/sw_pvr_pci.htm

The same goes for Modem. Incase you still use it, you may probably again have luck in installing it in Windows 7.
    I'm not sure too if they're natively supported in Windows 7 though but probably they aren't. You seem to have only 32-bit version of Windows 7 than 64-bit one as your option from drivers supporting aspect for such a PC.
  • In all seriousness, windows update works pretty damn well for finding a lot of drivers, providing you actually can get network access, that is.
  • If it doesn't come with Windows, Windows update can find it. It did the trick on my P3. If it's a old modern machine, 7 will work OOTB.
  • My recommendation for anyone that works on a lot of computers is to get a USB NIC. Either wired or wireless. Just have something that you either have the driver disk for or is widely supported. That way, you can get the machine online and start downloading drivers rather than having to copy them from another machine.

Then go to the manufacturer for anything you can't pull off Windows Update. Although, it's usually better to get drivers from the manufacturers site if you can. Especially with laptops.
  • A lot of Vista and XP drivers work in 7. Just have to use the compatibity option and only works with 32bit unless you use vista 64bit drivers.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    My recommendation for anyone that works on a lot of computers is to get a USB NIC. Either wired or wireless. Just have something that you either have the driver disk for or is widely supported. That way, you can get the machine online and start downloading drivers rather than having to copy them from another machine.

Then go to the manufacturer for anything you can't pull off Windows Update. Although, it's usually better to get drivers from the manufacturers site if you can. Especially with laptops.

While the USB NIC is a sound idea its not terrible to download the drivers on another machine, that way if you manage to brick the system in question or have to reinstall the OS again you've already downloaded them and don't have to rehunt for them. If its a one-off repair for something you hope to never see again then sure, get er done, but if its a tinkering project I like to keep the drivers elsewhere.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    My recommendation for anyone that works on a lot of computers is to get a USB NIC. Either wired or wireless. Just have something that you either have the driver disk for or is widely supported. That way, you can get the machine online and start downloading drivers rather than having to copy them from another machine.

While the USB NIC is a sound idea its not terrible to download the drivers on another machine, that way if you manage to brick the system in question or have to reinstall the OS again you've already downloaded them and don't have to rehunt for them. If its a one-off repair for something you hope to never see again then sure, get er done, but if its a tinkering project I like to keep the drivers elsewhere.

Of course you should keep the correct drivers somewhere once you've downloaded them, but downloading direct on the system is more convenient. Especially if you didn't get the correct driver the first time. You don't want to have to go back and forth between one machine and another trying to find all of the correct drivers. It's really a lot easier when you can download directly on that machine.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    A lot of Vista and XP drivers work in 7. Just have to use the compatibity option and only works with 32bit unless you use vista 64bit drivers.

I know Vista dirivers would work with 7, but I didn't think XP drivers would.
  • Its like TCP said, some XP drivers can work with 7 as long as its 32-bit, for 64-bit drivers its required that they are digitally signed so not as readily doable.

Its not ideal, especially in instances like graphics, but it can be done.
  • Its not ideal, especially in instances like graphics, but it can be done.
    This right here is exactly why I still use 32 bit OS's on most of my computers (the only exception is the server box).
  • That's a good way to handicap a capable 64-bit box.

My suggestion is old enough HW to bootstrap from built-in (and 64-bit) drivers.
  • ampharos wrote:
    That's a good way to handicap a capable 64-bit box.

My suggestion is old enough HW to bootstrap from built-in (and 64-bit) drivers.
    Well, the server box is the only 64-bit box I have.
  • Dude, even my nasty old Pentium D and Celeron M were 64-bit. If that's your only 64-bit machine...
  • Laptops from 2004 are 64-bit?
  • Laptops from 2004 are 64-bit?

Some. What kind of processor is in it?
  • If memory serves it was only Turions.
  • tail-end Pentium Ms might struggle
  • stitch wrote:
    Laptops from 2004 are 64-bit?

Some. What kind of processor is in it?
    Pentium M.
    BOD wrote:
    If memory serves it was only Turions.
    My old HP had a Turion. The ram slots failed. (Not the RAM, the slots)
    ampharos wrote:
    tail-end Pentium Ms might struggle
    damn

Actually I just checked and my laptop is not 64-bit capable.
  • Yeah Pentium-M was 100% 32-bit. Shame.
  • It still runs Windows 7 nice.

Might invest in a different CPU, because everything is generally good except the processor.
  • If its a Pentium M processor... it's not going to be replaceable with anything other than another Pentium M. But yeah it looks like you may be able to replace whatever your current cpu is with something in the 2GHz range.

I should look into this for my Thinkpad R52 also...
  • If its a Pentium M processor... it's not going to be replaceable with anything other than another Pentium M. But yeah it looks like you may be able to replace whatever your current cpu is with something in the 2GHz range.

I should look into this for my Thinkpad R52 also...
    I dunno. I have some 2GHz Celerons that would fit.
  • That's really the Pentium M's one of two flaws (other is it pretends it doesn't have PAE)
  • Thank you al for the help.

Next question on the same PC:

Before I could install Windows 7 in it, it crashed. I put another MB with CPU in it, new RAM, and a different power supply (old wasn't working). It goes through its POST and then shuts down. What could be causing the problem?
  • Perhaps the videocard? Or is the videocard onboard the CPU or MB? Also, does the PC give beeps? What ones? That can be very helpful to find out what is causing the trouble.
  • Thank you al for the help.

Next question on the same PC:

Before I could install Windows 7 in it, it crashed. I put another MB with CPU in it, new RAM, and a different power supply (old wasn't working). It goes through its POST and then shuts down. What could be causing the problem?

You replaced all of the main components in this HP system? With.... matching HP parts??

Or did you merely reuse the case?

Does it always shut down at the same exact point?

Have you tried with going into the BIOS and seeing if it shuts off while there?

Unfortunately at this point the list of potential troubleshooting options are immense, but getting clearer descriptions of just how far it goes in POST will help, or even a video perhaps.
    One quick idea is that the CPU fan isn't properly secured.