How do I use ISO files in Basilisk II build 142?

edited July 2012 in Software
Okay, I have a second question. The reason I actually post on this site.

I saw that there was StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 for download. This was heaven for me. A full version of StuffIt (not Expander) avaible, legally! Legally meaning a full, pay-for program for free and yet legally. Usually you can't get full versions of programs if they cost legally for free. StuffIt Deluxe would be useful for me to compress files. In Basilisk II (a Macintosh emulator). I use System 7.5.5 there.

I saw they were compressed with 7zip. I didn't have that. No problem, I just installed it.

But then came a another problem: StuffIt Deluxe 4.5.iso is the only file in the archive!

I don't know how to use ISOs except that you can burn them to a DVD to install a Windows version from it.

Otherwise, I have no idea on how to use ISOs.

Worse, Basilisk II- because it's just a Macintosh emulator that lets you use System/ Mac OS Macintosh operating systems (up to 8.1), comes with zero support for ISO files. That is, System .7.5.5 shows the file as a blank white paper for it's icon. If ISOs can be used in System 7.5.5 anyway, there must be some program to do it.

How do I use ISO files in Basilisk II build 142 anyway?

I'm asking here because WinWorld supplies StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 in that format; therefore they must know how I can use it.

I tried UltraISO. It says it can extract files from ISOs. I installed it for that reason. It opens the file just fine, and says its format is HFS. However, the file size of Install StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 is 2,247 KB. If I try to extract it with UltraISO the file size is suddenly 2,028 KB.. Trying to open Install StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 in System 7.5.5 tells me that the file couldn't be opened because the application that created it couldn't be found.

Comments

• I'm not sure if the version of StuffIt you're referring to was intended for System 7; if it's on an ISO file that means that it was ripped directly from some form of optical medium, which I doubt the Macs of the System 7 era supported.

I doubt there is any way to use ISOs in System 7; the Mac I had running S7 was a Macintosh Classic from 1990, which had no hard drive, let alone an optical drive.

And to clarify, I appreciate your enthusiasm about a "legal" way to obtain a proprietary compression utility for S7, though the true legality of abandonware isn't actually recognized in most places. Technically, it's still copyright infringement, but it's extremely unlikely to be pursued by the arbiter of the copyright, in this case Aladdin Systems.

(In my understanding, the laws and regulations regarding intellectual property and the "fair use" thereof are overcomplicated, extremely ambiguous, and ineffective, so beyond knowing what law I'm breaking, I rarely care. It's also ambiguous and tedious to prove or disprove an instance of IP copyright infringement, especially with digital multimedia, based on laws intended for written works, quite a while ago. The DMCA just helped people prosecute for software piracy, etc. But this is WinBoards... :P)
  • An ISO is a bit-for-bit file representation of a CD. Virtual CloneDrive will mount it as a real drive in Windows, and WinImage will give you a file listing/extraction opportunity.

I'm asking here because WinWorld supplies StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 in that format; therefore they must know how I can use it.

Read the docs! We are not your emulator's developers. I'd like to assume there's functionality there as there were a plethora of 68k macs that shipped with CD-ROM drives.

Also, this is not a site issue.

Worse, Basilisk II- because it's just a Macintosh emulator that lets you use System/ Mac OS Macintosh operating systems (up to 8.1), comes with zero support for ISO files. That is, System .7.5.5 shows the file as a blank white paper for it's icon. If ISOs can be used in System 7.5.5 anyway, there must be some program to do it.

I tried UltraISO. It says it can extract files from ISOs. I installed it for that reason. It opens the file just fine, and says its format is HFS. However, the file size of Install StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 is 2,247 KB. If I try to extract it with UltraISO the file size is suddenly 2,028 KB.. Trying to open Install StuffIt Deluxe 4.5 in System 7.5.5 tells me that the file couldn't be opened because the application that created it couldn't be found.

Yeeks. Never try to extract ancient Mac archives on Windows or any other OS platform (including Mac OS X) It will destroy the classic Mac OS resource fork of the archive and render it FUBAR. Always move the archive into the drive of either the Basilisk emulator or to the actual old Mac BEFORE attempting to extract its contents.

Mounting ISOs on Basilisk II (or actual classic Mac System)? Use the exceptionally excellent freeware named "Virtual DVD-ROM Utility" http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual-dvd-romcd-utility
  • Most people just think Basilisk II has zero support for ISO files because there are no options for emulating an .iso as the CD-ROM in the Basilisk II GUI, but it is possible - just directly open "BasiliskII_prefs" with SimpleText and add the line "cdrom StuffIt Deluxe 4.5.iso" above the first line.