Non-abandoned Games???

edited April 2011 in Software
I've noticed that there are a few games in the graveyard that are still alive and kicking on GOG.com, which is a site that offers cheap, DRM-free downloads of a ton of classic games. Given that DRM sucks and companies that don't use it deserve support, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't delete any games that can be bought on GOG.

Comments

• im not sure i fully understand this post..

is this guy telling us TO or NOT TO delete our games?

also... when someone says "should we do this to the site?" and suggests files be added or removed, usually its the people in charge, or at least someone whos been around for 5-6 years... not a new member with only 5 posts.
  • madcrow wrote:
    I've noticed that there are a few games in the graveyard that are still alive and kicking on GOG.com, which is a site that offers cheap, DRM-free downloads of a ton of classic games. Given that DRM sucks and companies that don't use it deserve support, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't delete any games that can be bought on GOG.

If people want to use GOG, there's not anything I'm doing that prevents people from using it. I'm not going to dumb down my service at the expense of another. Despite being on GOG they are still not supported by their original developers nor sold directly through them.

Hell, if anything were to change I'd start accepting GOG games in submissions.
  • I'm saying that it might be a nice gesture to not offer games that are still sold in a DRM-free format. It's one thing to offer things like the SimWhatever games which aren't available any more or stuff that's only available through a DRM-laden overpriced wasteland like Steam, but offering stuff which can be gotten with no DRM for a cheap price, just seems a bit wrong.

Also, I'm hardly new. I've been around as a lurker for a while and was around even more before the crash.
  • ours ARENT DRM, and they're totally free.

correct me if i'm wrong, but this GOG place is SELLING software t hat they dont have the rights to, arent they? isnt that FAR worse than what we're doing? we're distributing it for free without permission -- they're CHARGING PEOPLE for someone elses work.
  • edited April 2011
    Ka0s wrote:
    ours ARENT DRM, and they're totally free.

correct me if i'm wrong, but this GOG place is SELLING software t hat they dont have the rights to, arent they? isnt that FAR worse than what we're doing? we're distributing it for free without permission -- they're CHARGING PEOPLE for someone elses work.

They do have distribution rights, they sign deals with the publishers to do it, then they just patch up the original games to work on later operating systems or just distribute them with DosBox.
    madcrow wrote:
    I'm saying that it might be a nice gesture to not offer games that are still sold in a DRM-free format. It's one thing to offer things like the SimWhatever games which aren't available any more or stuff that's only available through a DRM-laden overpriced wasteland like Steam, but offering stuff which can be gotten with no DRM for a cheap price, just seems a bit wrong.

Also, I'm hardly new. I've been around as a lurker for a while and was around even more before the crash.

My site was never about ethics or what's right and wrong. They can do whatever they want and I'm free to do whatever I want.
  • If you want files removed, abuse@zimmy.co.uk is the proper channel. WinBoards is not a place for reporting abuse issues.
This discussion has been closed.