When will XP 64-bit come to WinWorld?

edited February 2014 in Software
After this April, is there a possiblity XP 64-bit will become available for download?

Comments

• XP is going to have a very sizable userbase beyond it's end of support date and as such can not be considered "abandoned". We're not going to carry XP until it's actual userbase is insignificant.

AMD64 XP is based upon the Server 2003 codebase anyway, and as a result I think has a later EOL date.
  • Server 03 has a EOL date of 2015-07-13. XP x64 appears to have the same EOL date as XP. See Stitch's comment above about XP support.
  • XP64 is near useless as an OS anyway, hardware support is...tricky.
  • I actually keep forgetting that XP x64 even existed.
  • :roll: What is XP 64-bit? I've never heard of this "XP 64-bit".

But yeah I don't think Winworld will carry XP for another good 5-7 years after support ends. That and since Windows XP uses WGA, it would be useless to use anyway without one of dem product keys.
  • That and since Windows XP uses WGA, it would be useless to use anyway without one of dem product keys.

There's some bets between some of us here on if Microsoft will introduce a patch to disable WGA/Product Activation after end of life. I have my doubts. I think they'll just turn off the activation servers at the same time they turn off Windows Update for them. Since Windows Update still works (last time I checked) for Windows 2000, that might not be for a very long time.

Others think they might do it for industrial customers, who use a set piece of software for a time period of 10-20 years. That could be a possibility. I've personally seen a machine that ran a piece of equipment was upgraded from a 386 running DOS 5 to a machine running XP, and won't likely change again until the end of the decade. Utilities and some manufacturers are notorious for this, examples like GE's turbine controls made for power utilities used 486's up until a few years ago. They're using Atoms now and on the software end run QNX/XP. It's a pain in the ass and really expensive to swap those machines out with newer stuff.

There's a possibility of using a product activation crack to bypass that when the time comes, but I have seen sites in the abandonware scene get hit by DMCA notices not for including copies of Office XP, but for the anti product activation crack.
  • I remember that being a concern when XP first came out and I think I remember MS saying they'd release a patch to disable product activation after support ended and the activation servers were turned off.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they decided to just turn off the activation servers once support ended and if anyone complained, tell them to upgrade to 8.1.
  • noone wrote:
    Others think they might do it for industrial customers, who use a set piece of software for a time period of 10-20 years. That could be a possibility. I've personally seen a machine that ran a piece of equipment was upgraded from a 386 running DOS 5 to a machine running XP, and won't likely change again until the end of the decade. Utilities and some manufacturers are notorious for this, examples like GE's turbine controls made for power utilities used 486's up until a few years ago. They're using Atoms now and on the software end run QNX/XP. It's a pain in the ass and really expensive to swap those machines out with newer stuff.

Given that you can still buy industrial motherboards with ISA on, it'll be years before they move off such platforms.
  • Cool, thanks for the follow up. Was just curious.
  • edited February 2014
    BOD wrote:
    XP64 is near useless as an OS anyway, hardware support is...tricky.

Unusable? that's bullshit!, XP x64, works fine on my fairly modern computer. my XP x64 is not valid anymore (too many installations). Now I sit here with an original operating system that can not be used without crack: (

NOTE: I am not good at English so I've been using Google translate
  • Windows XP 64-Bit Edition was designed to run on Intel Itanium family of microprocessors in their native IA-64 mode.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition released on April 25, 2005 is an edition of Windows XP for x86-64 personal computers. It is designed to use the expanded 64-bit memory address space provided by the x86-64 architecture.

x64 Edition is what your want, unless you happen to have an Intel Itanium Server laying around.