Did some modding

edited October 2014 in Hardware
I have a couple of old systems. One has been my NAS server and the other was hardly ever used. Since I needed a dedicated system for some stuff I decided to toss in a old 1000 watt power supply into the NAS and created a second motherboard tray. Re-pinned the PCI-E power connector to a P4 connector and found my old ATX splliter. Yes I am running two systems with one power supply. The NAS used 318watts at full load and the second system used 297watts at full load. Only downside to this setup is both systems have to be on and can not use the same power switch it will cancel one or the other to not switch on or make the systems flip flop with a constant power on and off. I also tossed in a KVM into the mix so the misses cant complain about having a total of three monitors, keyboards and mice on the desk.

Reason why I did this.

Lack of A/C outlets.
Cuts Energy cost to run one instead of two.
Wife cant complain that I have two more desktops taking up space on the desk.

Sometime later I need to dump more memory into the second system and try to build a custom rackmount.

Comments

• I can't see how it costs less to power two systems off one PSU than to use two separate ones.
  • I think we need pictures of this cabling job.
  • Trust me, I have done this many times with other systems and it does lower power consumption. When I had a 6 node cluster server a few years back my light bill was around 300 a month. After converting the nodes to share a total of three power supplies the light bill dropped 50 to 60 bucks less. I got the idea after building a universal wall wart to power all of my external devices to free up some outlets. All what wall warts and computer power supplies do is converts high voltage AC into low voltage DC.

The main power cable known as P1 is a simple adapter that is used on some older servers that used dual power supplies. My adapter is a 20pin but the power supply is 24pin. Both motherboards have 24pin connections but I only have the NAS using the 24pin and the second server is only using 20pin. It's perfectly fine. Many systems from Compaq/HP came like that from the factory. Matter of fact that's how the second server's setup was begin with.

20in24.jpg

T1TLyqXkJkXXasw_wS_010244__20079_zoom.jpg

I attend to clip off and save connectors from bad power supplies so it was easy to repin the PCI-E power cable to a P4.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Only downside to this setup is both systems have to be on and can not use the same power switch it will cancel one or the other to not switch on or make the systems flip flop with a constant power on and off.

If you spliced an extra wire to each end of the power button couldn't you fire them both up at the same time?
  • Nope, I tried it.
  • What if you connected one pin from each mobo together?
  • Same result. Now if I had two of the same motherboards it would work fine.
  • ATX PSUS are on when the green wire is shorted to ground, and only turn off when it's no longer a closed circuit. There's no way you can have 2 motherboards being independently on/off without some serious nigger rigging.
  • If I had a couple of relays I might be able to do it but I dont want to chance it.
  • I had a new toy but it died. A Everex ev-1800 286. Dunno what happend, it was chugging along and just died. Think it was the voltage regulator on the motherboard. Anyway, I plan to use the old AT case to house a ATX board. Most of the rear end of the case comes apart, just have to trim for the IO and modify a power supply to fit inside the AT power supply case. Wonder if I can put a hinge on the old 5inch floopy drive bezel and use it to hide a DVD drive.
  • I've somewhat started on converting the AT case into a ATX case. I took a old ATX case frame and drilled out the rivets to the I/O bezel and motherboard tray. Since the AT case is a flat bottom and doesn't have any rail system to the motherboard tray like typical IBM AT cases I can easily sit the ATX tray inside and simply use pop rivets to mount it. Only thing holding me back so far is to cut the back of the case to mount the ATX I/O panel. For the life of me I can not fine my Sabersaw/Jigsaw, with out it I would have to cut it by hand and that I am not doing since the case is steel.
  • Started on converting the power supply. Very simple really, just putting ATX power supply guts into the AT power supply case. Now since the power switch isn't a push button type im just going to use it as a main power switch so the system doesn't draw any "phantom power". The push button for the system is going to be located where the AT keyboard lock would be on front of the case.
  • Today I plan ro finish the power supply.
  • Power supply is done. Looks funny seeing SATA molex connectors hanging out of a full size AT power supply.

I dont have a camera at the moment but heres a idea.
    ibm-xt-power-supply.jpg

Removed the stickers, polished it up so it looks pretty. Since I dont have a fan big enough for the exhaust vent I tapped the screw holes with a M5 tap and used M5 machine screws to attach the fan grill. Used a old xbox360 fan on the side vent so it will suck air from inside the computer case and vent out the rear of the power supply. Wired the big old power switch to act as a main power switch so if I wanted to I can disable all over to the system, im going to have a typical push button on the front of the computer case where the Keyboard lock is located. Since the power supply circuit board is a lot smaller I had to make a bracket and made a tray for the circuit board to be mounted on. I also made a block off plate for the AC output on the power supply, simple pop riviets were used to secure it.
  • Still haven't finished the case. My cutting wheel doesn't want to work right, I think the cutting disc is too big for it.

however I came across a nifty idea with the floppy drive I pulled from this project. Use the Parallel port to control the stepper motor from the floppy drive. After all the floppy drive's controller has a built in stepper motor controller. Wonder if I could use it to control the LCD bezel, like having it open like a garage door style lol.
  • Well I got a nifty idea. I am planning to build a motorized keyboard tray so when the PC boots up the tray extends. When it shuts down it will pull in the tray. If this works out I could try some other stuff.
  • I scrapped the AT/ATX mod. Wife was getting mad at tripping over the case all the time and couldn't get a cutting wheel.